Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Soles for Jesus

Ohhh - just thought of more...

Our church is doing a shoe drive for an organization called 'Soles for Jesus.' They collect shoes in their warehouse in Milwaukee and then take them over on missions trips or send them off to the capitol of Ethiopia, Addis Ababa -- which just happens to be where we will be going when we travel twice for our adoption!! So, we are doing a shoe drive and then, when Jaden and I go get our biometrics (FBI fingerprinting) done in Milwaukee (in March, I think), we will drop off the shoes we have collected at the warehouse. I'm soooo excited. Jaden and I have been looking at the Soles for Jesus blog and facebook page and website just wishing we could get more involved - and really, really wishing we could accompany them on a trip to Addis Ababa to deliver the shoes. Ohhh would that be awesome. Unlikely that it will happen, but it's great to dream!! Anyway, super excited to deliver the shoes none the less. Check out their blog... http://solesforjesus.wordpress.com/ And if you are on facebook - check out their pictures as well. And then just try to tell me you don't want to do what they are doing?! AMAZING!! Thank GOD for these people!!!!

Oh and we have decided to go to Madison for the day on Friday - to visit a little Ethiopian Restaurant there. It is supposed to have great, authentic Ethiopian food. Maybe, if I like it, I can learn to make some if it. Yes, yes, those of you who know me are saying 'if you like it? -- fat chance!' Yep, I agree. Something tells me I'll be LOOSING this spare tire I've collected in the past 3 and 1/2 years during our trips to Ethiopia because I'm a picky eater and probably won't eat much while we are there! I'll let you know after Friday!!!

3 comments:

Meehan Family said...

FYI...injera is CHEAP to buy, freezes really well and hard to make. Just something to think about while you're there!

Unknown said...

Really? I've been meaning to ask you about the food and the showers... So, how is the food? And what about hot water and showers and stuff? Two of my fears since I love to eat and I love to take hot showers in the morning... :) And I promise to write back to your email soon too. :) I've been meaning to, but I promise I will tomorrow.

Meehan Family said...

No worries AT ALL! The hot water depends on where you stay. The first trip, the whole guest house shared one hot water heater and we had to take showers at night or REALLY early in the morning for hot water. The second place had a hot water heater in each bathroom, so as long as we remembered to plug it in at night we had hot water in the morning.
The food is AMAZING. I think they put berbere in everything, but I like it, so it was fine with me. If you don't love Ethiopian food there's tons of Italian food, too. It's got a different twist to it, but it's good. And cheap!