Monday, April 28, 2014

A Little Over Two Weeks Home

I know you have all been waiting for an update. . .   ;)

We have been home just over two weeks now. Samara is a completely different girl! Most days get better and better as we provide her structure and love.  Our first week home was a blur.  Almost no sleep, trying to get on track, catching up on laundry and cleaning from the trip... Wow.  Last week, our two older kids were on spring break. This was a real blessing for many reasons - one being that I really hate my oldest being gone at school all day every day anyway, so I got to enjoy his presence around here all week! Also, Samara just LOVES interacting with and playing with her big brother and sister.  Being around other kids really makes her smile and laugh. It is so fun to see.  Also, it was good to give the two older ones a week to bond with her.  I have to say though, because we are in lock-down therapy mode, I was grateful when some family and some friends picked up the two older ones and took them out and about for a bit.  I knew they were enjoying themselves and they were out of the house for a bit. That was helpful!!

Samara still has difficulty being alone. This is understandable, as I'm pretty sure she was NEVER alone for her whole 20 months of life. There was always a nanny from the orphanage working or a crib neighbor close by. That being said, sleep is somewhat of a challenge.  Most often, Samara likes to sleep on top of me.  They say "sleep when your baby sleeps," well, I've been doing a lot of that - or reading while she sleeps.  The past few days, she has slept in her pack n play during naps and that gives me a chance to quick change laundry around, or clean a bathroom, or load/unload the dishwasher. Also, she usually sleeps for about an hour (two if we are lucky) at night before demanding that I join her - giving Jaden and I a chance to catch up quickly or sneak in a tv episode.  That has probably been a challenge for me, because if you know me at all, I'm a tiny bit of a busy-body/clean freak/mover (first step is admitting it, right?)  But anyway, I've been reading  a lot about adoption parenting during all of this down time and I'm educating myself about Samara's special needs as far as bonding and attachment goes and I am grateful for the opportunity to research what this looks like from professionals' eyes and rest assured that I'm making the best choices I can for Samara's future.

Adoption parenting is quite different that parenting your bio-kids - at least at first anyway. And understandably so considering what her life has looked like until we got her home! I'm sure it's not easy for some of our family/friends to understand why we don't take her out and about much or why we can't let her cry herself to sleep or why no one else can hold her/feed her/change her for the next several months. If you want to know more about our reasoning behind all of this, just ask. I am open to sharing what I've learned.

We did take Samara to church yesterday. It went well while we were there, but I think we may have pushed it a little much; once we got home, she was not so happy or content. It was worth a shot, as I was glad some of you could at least see her and I was able to see some of you!! This hunkering down thing can be a bit lonely at times!! Unfortunately though, we'll be returning in a few weeks - when Samara is more ready.

Many people of dropped off food for us. I can not say thank you enough!! Last week was full of doctor appointments, lab tests, football practice... There just wasn't much time or opportunity for grocery shopping or cooking! This week is quite similar, so I really can't thank you enough for blessing us and caring for us in this way. Thank you!!

It is so great to finally have our little peanut home. She fits in so well with our family and each one of us just loves her to pieces!! She is funny and sweet and full of smiles. We are thankful for our new little girl!!


First time at the park... She lasted a few minutes in the swing! :)

No comments: